Monday, December 21, 2009

A 5 minute post for Maeve

I am a sporadic knitter.

My most recent knitting endeaver led me to/forced me to learn two new knitting skills. WOOP!
  1. knitting on 4 double pointed needles
  2. buttonholes
Knitting on double pointed needles enables you to knit a tube rather than a flat piece of material.

My tube shaped project of choice was to be a pair of wrist warmers in which two buttonholes acted as thumbholes! Nice!


Me with finished wrist warmers

Knitting techniques, I find are almost impossible to learn from words alone. In an ideal world, I would be learning from a friend or relative, but as my favourite knitting enthusiast no longer lives in the same country as me, I find internet tutorials to be absolutely brilliant in getting you over the couple of hurdles that you'll usually stumble across in patterns. (how to+youtube+knitting technique listed in pattern=pure brilliance!) Knitters love youtube. Who knew!

I adapted this pattern for wrist warmers on knitty.
I kept the ribbing for the first and last inch of the pattern, but in between I wanted plain stockinette stitch.
Knitting on double pointed needles produces stockinette stitch just by knitting constantly, which is a lovely surprise!!! (Usually, stockinette stitch is made from knitting one row, and purling the next.) Who knew!

1 comment:

  1. Yus YUS yUS! Maeve loves this. Purling. What a great word! Do you think MY wrist warmers will be ready for Christmas morning? Under the tree waiting for my greedy hands to get into them. Thanks carol! x

    ReplyDelete