Friday, July 17, 2009

Introducing Claire


Claire's Facebook Profile Picture

My amazingly talented, funny and truly lovely friend Claire makes beautiful clothes. She has flawless taste, and although I have only seen one finished garment (an oh so cute chocolate brown corduroy long sleeved dress. I want one!!) I know that she is constantly playing around with patterns and ideas, but, isn’t there always a but, Claire’s budding career as a designer has a shadow hanging over it; for Claire the designer has a significant though endearing flaw; a kind of humble inability to finish pieces. She is a perfectionist, which is great, but dangerous! If she finished and displayed some of her work, I have no doubt but that people would want and love her clothes. Like me, and like a lot of other people, she rarely works or does anything really, without specific, immutable deadlines, but deadlines, she can meet, and meet them well! So, in an attempt to force…ahem, help Claire, I have suggested that she complete 2 designs, make them up in an array of fabrics, and bring them to the Dublin Flea Market (held on the last Sunday of every month) who incidentally have the most whimsically lovely posters imaginable.



We are aiming for the September Market. I plan to be there too selling baked goods beside her, keeping her company, and luring people over to her stall in a non threatening manner with tasty treats. For once people see her clothes, how will they possibly be able to resist? Sneaky! Now you know!

“And what does this all have to do with you and your blog Marol?” wailed the children….

At the time of our conversation, I didn’t quite realise it, but Claire knows that I too have an inability to work without deadlines, and so, in return she has badgered me into committing to a weekly Friday blog entry. So, there, I’ve said it. I will be posting every Friday. Now you know that too.


Acknowledging and ignoring the Fear

I listen to a podcast called “This American Life” religiously and subsequent to the recomendation of blogger extraordinaire: Anjali. It is a brilliantly edited

collection of random stories and intriguing glimpses into peoples’ lives, which leaves you convinced that the world is a beautiful place full of wonder and meaning at every turn, even if it is occasionally bittersweet and at times heartbreaking. Basically, it’s really good. The Irish listenership for the podcast is still very low, but it is a household name in the States so I hear. Ira Glass, the host of this wonderful show, has to his own admission done some truly awful broadcasting early in his life, but is adamant that in order to progress and get good, you have to just put yourself out there, bad as you might be at the start, and that is the only way to progress. And, as I would like to progress as a blogger, you my potentially non existent readers may have to ….for a time….endure some truly awful posts….but if Ira is right….I can only improve!! Now you know, now you know it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment